Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sever by Lauren Destefano - OPTIONAL


Destefano, Lauren Sever, 384 p. Simon and Schuster, FEBRUARY 2013.  $18.  Violence: PG; Language: G (1 swear); Mature Content: G.  

In her latest attempt to escape Vaughn’s clutches, Rhine takes Cecily, Linden and Bowen to Reed – Vaughn’s estranged brother.  While they find a few moments of peace, Rhine hears word of her brother – and it is not good.  If she doesn’t find him and let him know that she is alive, he may be driven to further destruction.  But Vaughn will do whatever he has to keep Rhine under his thumb.  Vaughn is desperate to find a cure and he will use anyone in anyway to complete it. And he is sure that Rhine and Rowan are the key.  

While I was happy to read a ending to Rhine’s story, I wasn’t satisfied for how it all hangs together.  If I point out the logic problems, I will give away plot points, unfortunately.  And the end is so abrupt I just can’t fathom it.  I know that kids who have read the other two will want to read this one – I just wish it were as awesome as number 1.  Don’t buy too many copies.  

MS, HS – OPTIONAL.  Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: