Monday, November 12, 2012

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger –ADVISABLE


Messenger, Shannon Keeper of the Lost Cities 496 pgs. Aladdin, 2012. $11.55.  (Rating: G)
Sophie has been hiding a magical secret most of her life, she can read minds. Its more of a curse than a gift, and at 12 years old she still isn’t even close to having a handle on it. When she meets a cute boy named Fitz, her life changes forever. Sophie finds out her whole life isn’t what she thought. She must live with a new family and attend a special school. On top of all the changes, Sophie is in grave danger, powerful magical forces want knowledge that she possesses.
Did you see how many pages this book is? 496! As a book reviewer, that is a risky proposition. But thankfully, I simply could not put this book down. Even though it contained many elements I am fully tired of; another super special magical child who all the boys love and all the girls are jealous of, another magical sanctuary, and another magic school –I couldn’t stop reading. I was wildly entertained and I think students will love this book. I will be looking forward to the next, so this better be a series. The main character is 12 years old, and I mean the G rating, so I think this is better suited towards 4-7 graders. 
ELEMENTARY, MS–ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie MLS graduate & Author.

No comments: