Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Atlantis: The Search for the Lost City (Code Quest Adventure) by Mary-Jane Knight - OPTIONAL


Knight, Mary Jane and Illustrated by Chidlow, Philip Atlantis: The Search for the Lost City (Code Quest Adventure)  48 pgs. Kingfisher, 2012. $13.25.  (Rating: G)
Young explorer and adventurer Amy James invites the reader along to help her discover clues to finding the lost city of Atlantis. Using the Code Wheel readers can decode ancient writing then look at maps and feel like a part of the adventure. Set in the 1800’s, mostly on a submarine, this book has facts and theories.
I was prepared to adore this book, I love the archeology and Atlantis thing. I like the almost virtual reality combination of photography and artwork. I got out the Code wheel and paper/pen and started the adventure. But quickly found out the ancient writing was pretty technical, and arduous.  The story didn’t really allow the reader to “discover” anything. Worst of all, the end of the journey came up super slow –then went by in just a few pages. I found myself wishing most of the adventure took place there at the “discovery” portion! Disappointing, but still a really cool concept. I would be willing to take a few more trips with this series.
ELEMENTARY– OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: