Thursday, September 6, 2012

Have You Seen My Cat? by Eric Carle - ADVISABLE

Carle, Eric.  Have You Seen My Cat? Aladdin Paperbacks (Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing Division), 2012 (the text was originally published in 1987). $3.99.  PICTURE BOOK.  This is a Pre-Level 1 book in the Ready-To-Read early reader book series.  A boy looks for his cat, asking various people if they have seen his cat.  I took a long time to write this review because I did not know what I thought of it.  Most of the book either says "Have you seen my cat?" or "This is not my cat."  I knew that my daughter would probably memorize it before she learned the words.  But I have decided that it is a good book to have around.  I'm not sure that it is worth $4, but it is still nice to have something that my non-reading daughter could actually read once she had a few sight words under her belt.  I think the book gave her confidence to look at more books and find words in them that she recognizes.  Plus, it has added to her desire to want to read more.  I, by no means, feel that this is a must have, but it can be quite helpful for an emergent reader to feel more confident with texts.  Pre-K - ADVISABLE.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

No comments: