Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Enchanted by Alethea Kontis - ESSENTIAL


Kontis, Alethea Enchanted, 305 p. Harcourt, 2012.  $17.  Content: G.  

As the youngest of seven daughters, Sunday Woodcutter has the power to write stories which come true, but she has no control over the results, so she sticks to writing the history of her large clan – her six sisters, three brothers and her parents.  She becomes friends with a magicked frog, and unknowingly breaks that spell – returning the frog to the form of Prince Rumbold – her family’s biggest enemy – the petulant young man responsible for her oldest brother’s death.  Now the Prince is determined to court his damsel – ordering up three grand balls and unleashing a torrent of good – and evil – magic into his world.  

That is such a lame descriptions for a book that swept me up and swept me away into this beautiful telling.  Even though the book was written as a challenge (include every fairytale), it just doesn’t matter – it feels new and fresh and wonderful!  This is a joy to share.  

EL, MS, HS – ESSENTIAL. Cindy, Library Teacher

FYI:  I have now read this book THREE times!  I absolutely love it!

2 comments:

Caryn said...

Ha! I loved your description. And just the fact that you read the book three times, even though there are so many shiny new books out there tempting you, is enough to convince me!

Cindy Mitchell said...

Shall I confess? I want to read it AGAIN!