Monday, February 27, 2012

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews –ESSENTIAL FOR PUBLIC ONLY

Andrews, Jesse Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, 304 pgs. Harry N. Abrams, 2012 (March). $11.17. (Language-R (Swear count: I gave up after 100 and some are too creative to categorize, Violence-PG; Sexual Content-R)
Greg is a high school senior who has survived and thrived on a complex set of social rules –that include skirting the edges of all the social groups. Greg loves films and has been making his own for years with his friend Earl. He hates all the films they have made and no one else is allowed to see them. When Greg’s mom forces him to reacquaint himself with a girl named Rachel, because she has leukemia, he has to start breaking all his rules.
That is a pathetic description of a wildly entertaining book that is one of my new all time favorite books. I will be buying all books by this author. It went beyond accurately portraying a main characters world view –I felt like I was in Greg’s head –and it was a fun place to be. It was: laugh out loud, read excerpts to friends, relive and laugh some more, downright FUNNY. Did I mention that it was whitty and interesting and unique? I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that it’s probably not appropriate for most school libraries. But that being said –I think it a must have for public libraries!
HS – ESSENTIAL FOR PUBLIC ONLY Reviewer: Stephanie MLS graduate.

No comments: