Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater - NO


Stiefvater, Maggie The Scorpio Races, 416 p. Scholastic, OCTOBER 2011.  $18.  Violence: PG-13 (carnivorous beings that look like horses, but would rather eat you).  Puck Connolly is desperate to save her family.  When her oldest brother says he is leaving the island for the mainland, she makes him promise not to leave until she races in the yearly, deadly race – where the jockey are mounted on capall uisce (capple ishka), the dangerous horse-like beings that are captured each year from the ocean.  Sean, on the other hand, has raced the capaill most of his life.  Under the thumb of the island’s wealthiest and scheming owner and desperate to win his freedom, Sean must win this year.  Puck is just desperate enough to race her beloved Dove, an ordinary horse, against the man-eaters.  Sean is just desperate enough to help Puck train.  A little romance, lots of danger, new characters:  I am left mystified why I couldn’t connect with this book.  I was left feeling flat – and I don’t think fans of The Wolves of Mercy Falls series will be happy with this as their next option.  Has someone else out there read this and can give a different opinion???  NOT RECOMMENDED. Cindy, Library Teacher


1 comment:

Katie said...

I loved this book. I got caught up in the mood of the island, the horses, the capall and the love story. It was one of those books that took me more than a few days to finish. I had to read and think about it as I went along. This one I reccomend!
Katie Kilts
GWHS Library