Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Am a Tyrannosaurus by Anna Grossnickle Hines - ADVISABLE

I Am a TyrannosaurusHines, Anna Grossnickle I Am a Tyrannosaurus.  Tricycle Press, 2011. $12.99.  PICTURE BOOK.
Told from an anonymous, first person point of view, this book spends two pages with a boy describing and acting like a dinosaur.  Then, the second of the two pages concludes with the words "I am..." and the next two pages state what dinosaur has just been described and then there is an illustration of it as well.  In all, the book does this for five different dinosaurs (and then one made up, I think, name).  I liked this book and my young children liked it too.  What they liked about it was the vibrant illustrations and the different dinosaurs.  I also think they liked guessing what dinosaur it is.  What I loved about the book was how it teaches young readers to look at clues and make predictions.  Thus, the nest part of this book means that it can only be read once because after that, the reader is not making predictions.  Still, I think this is a good book and is worth having in the library because not many books explicitly allow for clues and predictions for the youngest of audiences.  Pre-K, EL(K-3) -ADVISABLE. Brent Smith, Reading Teacher.

No comments: