Friday, July 8, 2011

The Fortune of Carmen Navarro by Jen Bryant


Bryant, Jen The Fortune of Carmen Navarro, 229 pgs. Alfred A. Knopf, 2010. Language - PG (34 swears, 0 "f"), Sexual Content - PG; Violence - PG; Carmen is a free spirit, she dropped out of school and has a gig to play for record label representatives. Ryan is a shy, red-faced boy who is expected to be a good boy with good grades and go on to be a good soldier and that's his plan, until he meets Carmen. After the first glance of Carmen, Ryan knew she was his. How can a free spirit be contained by a boy used to taking orders? She can't. I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It was good, but the way Ryan changes threw me off. I liked him at first, but eventually I just felt confused by his actions. I almost wish there were a few more chapters so that I could sort out my feelings for it. MS, HS - OPTIONAL. Reviewer: CCH

No comments: