Monday, May 9, 2011

The Dead by Charlie Higson - OPTIONAL


Higson, Charlie The Dead, 480 p. Hyperion, JUNE 2011.  $16.99.  

Language: PG-13 (45+ swears, 0 ‘f’); Violence: R.  

Ed and Jake managed to rescue most of their little group from the faculty of their English private school after they all manifested the disease that turns them zombie-like, but now the two boys decide to go their own way.  That is until one group is barely rescued from a zombie horde by a bus with one adult and a few kid survivors.  Now they are headed into London to see if they can find food and shelter and a few more allies.  When the bus driver starts manifesting symptoms, the kids must fight for their lives again and even finding safe shelter will not save everyone.

There is too much action to keep it all straight in a short review.  I was grossed out, I cried – some parts I found so intense and painful to read, but I was emotionally invested that I could not stop and leave these kids’ stories hanging.  Tissue and towels – you will need them while you read!  This is a companion to The Enemy, as it covers the same time period, but a different place and mostly brand new characters.  I can’t wait for the NEXT one – I can only hope that it will bring the stories together!  

HS - OPTIONAL (see language and violence). Cindy, Library Teacher

No comments: