Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Secret of Ka by Christopher Pike


Pike, Christopher The Secret of Ka, 407 pgs. Harcourt, 2010. Language - PG (27 swears, 0 "f"), Sexual Content - PG; Violence - PG; Sara is in Turkey visiting her dad. You would think it would be fun and exciting, she thought so too, but it has been the same boring routine for a week! That's when she meets Amesh. She makes him take her to her father's work site to finally do something different. Finding a magic carpet wasn't in the plan, but it was definitely something different to be swept away to an island with a boy you barely know. I was sucked in almost immediately after starting to read. I've never read a book with such a unique outlook on magic carpets and genies. I was swept away before I could even consider putting it down. I enjoyed the fact that Sara learned slowly and didn't suddenly know everything about what she could do and that she was vulnerable at times. Although the end made me a little sad, it wasn't extremely predictable, and I cannot wait to read the next one! MS, HS - ADVISABLE. Reviewer: CCH

No comments: