Sunday, February 13, 2011

Gemini Bites by Patrick Ryan


Ryan, Patrick Gemini Bites 240 pages, Scholastic Press, 2011,  Content: R (lots of sexual situations but minor swearing and violence).  

Kyle Renekker and his twin sister Judy (aka Monster) don't get along very well, to put it lightly. And when Kyle comes out about being gay, his sister's tormenting just increases. When Kyle finds out that their family is taking in a boy from their school, Kyle freaks out. He has always suspected that something was wrong with Garret, the boy who couldn't be more scary. No one else seems to see it though. Does the Renekker family have a vampire living in their game room?

I thought this book would be good by looking at the cover but once I got a few chapters in, I had to stop. It might have been a good plot if it hadn't actually told about some rather vulgar things, I wouldn't mind it that much. I guess it did tell more, like what it's like to be gay in high school, but they way the author did it did not work for me.

HS – OPTIONAL.  Student Reviewer: BT

No comments: