Saturday, January 30, 2010

After the Moment by Garret Freymann-Weyr - OPTIONAL

Freymann-Weyr, Garret After the Moment 336 pgs. Houghton Mifflin, 2009.

Language: PG (2 swears); Mature Content: PG13; Violence- PG. $17

HS-OPTIONAL

Meet Maia Morland. Self-proclaimed train wreck. Enter Leigh Hunter. Popular, smart guy who on the outside has everything going for him. But everything changes the summer they meet. Although Maia has serious issues (anorexia, self-injury, sex contracts etc.) Leigh falls for her and takes on the "lover/protector" role. Everything goes well and Maia seems to be making progress with her struggles until Leigh is out of town and something terrible happens to Maia. Will their love conquer the issues that now face them?

This was an extremely hard book for me to get through. I didn't like the style of writing. It seemed too shifty and disconnected to me. I couldn't connect with the characters. Leigh's sex cravings/thoughts were too much for me. The ending was extremely unsatisfying. One thing I did find positive about this book was that it dealt with the grave, serious issues without too much detail or being too graphic.

Whitney, Library-Teacher.

No comments: