Thursday, October 29, 2009

Copy Cat Covers




SO - I rarely make any non-review related posts on my blog, but I was so incensed by something I saw yesterday that I can't contain myself.


I was at Costco and saw what I thought originally were a big pile of Twilight books - pretty typical for Costco. BUT when I got closer, I saw that the books were actually reprinted classics and that they were from HarperCollins. Black covers, red and white accents - hmmm. Did Harper's design department have a brain cramp and decided that instead of being original they would just rip off Little and Brown? That is pretty lame, I think.


If you really want new copies of these particular books - look at the new covers that Penguin has put on them (one pictured here). At least these show creativity and thought - and they are utterly cool!


My advice - boycott the HarperCollins reprints - buy any other copy by and other publisher and let Harper know that you won't put up with their lack of creativity!

4 comments:

Suey said...

I saw this same thing at Costco yesterday and I just stood there and shook my head and I think I even said, "What the heck!" (as we say here in Utah) out loud. Crazy.

Caryn Caldwell said...

Oh, wow. You are SO right! I hadn't seen those covers before, but they are definite a rip-off of the Twilight series. Couldn't they show a little creativity? While the Twilight covers did draw in some people who might not have read the books otherwise, it was the way Meyers wrote that ultimately made her books so successful, not her covers.

Bookworm said...

Wow...marketing a classic through TWILIGHT? Lame. The first cover also reminds me a lot of Alyson Noel's EVERMORE--just the general colors and the flowers.

Samantha Hastings said...

I agree that Meyer's writing is the main reason why her books have been so popular; however, you can't deny when someone asks you for the book with the apple on front you know what it is.

I can't help it. I judge books by their covers. Some are just so appealing that you must pick them up. While other covers are so off-putting that you can't force yourself to want to read them.