Saturday, July 11, 2009

Heaven Looks A Lot Like the Mall by Wendy Mass


Mass, Wendy Heaven Looks A Lot Like the Mall, 251 p. Little, Brown, 2007. $16.99. Content: G. Tessa may be dying – from a dodge ball accident during P.E., no less – or not. Heaven looks a lot like the mall near Tessa’s house – the one where both of her parents work and where Tessa has spent many hours. When a cute boy hands Tessa a shopping bag full of about two dozen assorted objects from her past, Tessa ends up reliving each of the incidents involved, she learns more about herself than she ever noticed before. When I first put this book down, I was like, “huh?” Especially because it s written in the pseudo-poetic style which isn’t actually poetry at all. But sitting down to write this review, I realized I liked it more than I thought; it kind of stuck with me. I think that what I really hope is that the students who read it will actually GET THE POINT – because the point is well-worth getting! HS – OPTIONAL. Cindy, Library-Teacher.

No comments: